Thursday, July 8, 2010

Finally braced!!!!

I had a feeling today would be the day!
The receptionist phoned me this morning at work to tell me that my invisalign trays have arrived and if I can go in today @ 4.20pm to get them fitted. YAY, FINALLY!!!!!!!!
I was really nervous leading up to it, almost as nervous as getting my teeth extracted!
Anyway, first thing the dentist did was give me a goodie bag (toothbrush, mouthwash, floss, toothpaste etc) along with 2 invisalign holders, aligner chewies, a special tool to help get the aligners out, invisalign info pamphlet & my dentists own 10 commandments of what to do/not to do etc!
Then I had to go through the whole time-consuming process of getting my attachments glued on to my teeth. I have 14 attachments in total, thats HEAPS! It was quite a job!!!
When that was done he gave me a mirror so that I could have a look..... aarrrggghhhh! I was quite shocked seeing my attachments because they look ENORMOUS!!!! I am sure I will get used to them. Lucky there are none on my 2 front teeth! They will stay on for my entire treatment.
Next was time for inserting my 1st aligners. Brett (Dentist) said that since it has been a while since I had my moulds done, the aligners are going to be extra tight because my teeth have slightly moved since. He wanted me to practise getting them out but it looked to be quite difficult so he suggested I leave them in and come back tomorrow afternoon to take them out so that by tomorrow my teeth will have adjusted etc.....
I'm gonna be very hungry by tomorrow thats for sure! He said I can eat very carefully in them if I'm starving (just this once) and that he will thoroughly wash them tomorrow but I don't want to do that so I might just drink a smoothie tomorrow morning. Hopefully there won't be that much of a mess to clean!
It has been about 2 hours since I left the dentist's office and so far no pain! Very tight feeling/pressure but nothing I can't handle. He said the 1st aligner would be the worst so hopefully this is it??? I'll let you know if I suddenley get any pain later on. I have taken 2 nurofen tablets just incase.
My husband says my aligners are hardly noticable. I think they look pretty good compared to a mouth full of metal. Its just the attachments that look quite obvious! I'm sure I will get used to them but it just means that these 'invisible braces' are not completely invisible. If I didn't have any attachments then no-one would be able to notice at all! Oh well, its all part of the process I guess.
I can't be bothered taking any pics tonight so hopefully I will tomorrow so you can see what my teeth look like with them in.

No comments: